Friday, February 1, 2013

Ultimate Design Challenge Week 3 - Metal Foil Tape

So I made it through to week 3 in the Ultimate Design Challenge over at Swirlydoos. This weeks challenge was from Design Team member Miranda Edney to use Foil tape. This stuff is amazing to work with and just looks so cool, like real metal or you can use inks on it, just so many ideas. You can find Miranda's tutorial on how to use this tape here: Foil Tape Tutorial You really do need to stop by the Swirlydoos forum to see everyone's projects, they will take your breath away!

After playing around with the tape a bit I decided to make a picture frame to go with a photo I have of my dh on his Harley to give to him as a Valentines/Anniversary gift. I wanted to use chipboard letters for the title on the frame but when I tried it the foil tape I had was a thin gauge so it tended to tear when trying to push the tape down on the letters. So instead I used alphabet stickers which gave the same effect just not so deep. I used a crisscross embossing folder on the tape on the botto0m right and top left of the frame. Then I took 4 small metal gears that I had and put two on each side and covered them with the foil and used my stylus around the gears. Beside the crisscross metal pattern on the top of the frame I laid down some mesh ribbon (like you would use for making Christmas wreaths) and laid the tape down over that and used my bone folder and ran it back and forth across it to pick up the mesh pattern. I used a spider web embossing folder for the top left corner of the frame. For the other areas I just used my stylus to make the different patterns. After the frame was all done with the foil tape I covered it with black paint (as shown  in Miranda's tutorial) and wiped it off so that the black paint was left in the cracks and crevices of the tape. I really like how it turned up ad once I got the photo in it I think it looked even better. (As she pats herself on the back, lol) I really hope that my dh likes it as much as I do. I hope you stop by Swirlydoos and check out the challenge! TFL  

2 comments: